[TriZPUG] zc.buildout fsck'd on MacOS X whatever-cat -- "pkg_resources" failures

Mark R. Biggers biggers at utsl.com
Mon Oct 20 15:18:56 CEST 2014

Hi folks,

As some of you may know, I am now "doing Openstack" (metrics apps et al) at Cisco.

Most of my fellow engineers, largely Ops / DevOps, have MacBook Pros, running
OS-X 10.9 or so.  I presume they have the Xcode C/C++ environment installed,
and whatever version of "system Python" comes with that.

(I was working for a while on OS-X 10.9 also, but installed the NetBSD "ports"
for OS-X -- Python is rock-solid on that "ports" system).

What do I do, to get zc.buildout to work w/o failures, if someone is using
either the stock Python, or whatever "Py stuff" is installed with MacPorts or
Homebrew?   My co-workers get consistent "pkg_resources" failures, and all my
Py-fu -- updating system SetupTools, trying a virtualenv, then running
buildout -- nothing's working (they are doing this on my bequest -- my MacBook
doesn't have any issues).  I suspect they're fsck'd from some Python env
foulup, from MacPorts or Homebrew.

Any ideas are appreciated.  IMHO, Mac's make great ssh/X terminals! :-P

thank you,
----mark

--
*biggers at utsl.com*