[TriZPUG] Reference The Current Version Of Your Python Egg In Your Modules

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Fri Jan 24 18:22:57 CET 2014

On 1/24/2014 10:48 AM, Chris Calloway wrote:
> Also, listen to the question at 4:41 in this PyCon US 2013 video
> (referenced in the packaging information I posted to our IRC channel
> yesterday):
>
> http://pyvideo.org/video/1731/panel-directions-for-packaging

Specifically the answer to the question about accessing version
information in future releases of distlib was:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0426/#version

which references:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0440/

PEP 440 replaces PEP 386. A few months ago I was curious about how Erik
Rose was validating version information in peep and wrote a little
script which interogates Pypi for how many releases are PEP 386 compliant:

https://github.com/cbcunc/releases

It turns out the overwhelming majority of releases on Pypi are PEP 386
compliant:

https://gist.github.com/cbcunc/6360843

Chris Calloway http://nccoos.org/Members/cbc
office: 3313 Venable Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530