[TriZPUG] Recommend a CMS

Josh Johnson lionface.lemonface at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 21:44:42 CEST 2014

I'd ask what your requirements are before we can even start the
conversation, and caution against doing application development in a
CMS (after many, many years of doing so :P), My preference is to use
other means to integrate - if you can cover "the holy trinity of
integration": look and feel, authentication, and search with external
tools, you're way better off, IMHO.

For example, use Diazo for a unified look and feel, solr for unified
search, and LDAP for authentication, then write your apps in whatever
works best for development, and choose a CMS that works best for your
users. Most CMS systems will support all of these, or could be
extended to do so, which I feel is time better spent, than developing
an app inside of the CMS itself (much smaller scope and it helps
adoption of the CMS in new environments).

Also don't discount other integration strategies - for example,
Alfresco can speak CMSAPI - Dave Ray did some proof of concept work
when we worked together some years ago that allowed you to author
content in Word, save it to Alfresco, and publish it to Plone via
CMSAPI, without having to write any code (or very much code, it's been
a while :D).

JJ