[TriZPUG] Open Data and Last Night's Project Night

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Fri Jun 14 01:14:55 CEST 2013

Kurt and Barry:
http://computinged.wordpress.com/2013/06/13/learning-to-code-may-be-enough-if-it-happens/

I thoroughly enjoyed last night's project night even though I once again
didn't finish my project.

But today I had a weird coincidence related to last night's project
night after-meeting (thanks, James Whisnant, for saying the magic
b-word). Eric Leary, you will really appreciate this:

Today I participated in a four-hour OSGeo webinar for this open source
project:

http://pycsw.org/

(Jim White, isn't this the project you gave a lightning talk about? Or
rather, this project is a dependency of the project you talked about?)

It's basically a Python server that will harvest metadata from properly
formed geo-spatial data web services like WMS and create geo-searchable
data catalogs from that metadata through yet another web service called
CWS. Pipelines of web services. Boring for you maybe. But in my line of
work of trying to make big piles of geo-spatial data easily searchable,
it's exciting stuff. It makes use of the Shapely package written by
geo-python guru Sean Gillies, who has been to the Triangle a few times.
And it's getting integrated with my favorite Python package, pydap,
where it will be able to do auto-discovery, the holy grail of metadata
management.

At the end of the webinar, we were pointed at a page for community
involvement in the project:

http://pycsw.org/community.html

It's a pretty new project. So not a lot of users yet. But new users are
coming online pretty fast and I'll be another datum on that map soon
enough. I noticed on the map an icon that looked like it was on top of
North Carolina. So I clicked on it and it took me to the data catalog
service for "Open Data Durham:"

http://opendatadurham.org/

Amusingly, it's a catalog service with no data cataloged, sort of cart
before horse. But I was impressed that someone hereabouts was running
pycws for any purpose and also was kind of spooked that it was for an
Open Data movement site like we talked about just last night.

Then down at the bottom of the site, there was a link for "Created by
Triangle Code for America." I clicked on that link and was taken to a G+
page where most of the posts were by the Red Hat guy we were talking
about last night in connection with the local Open Data movement. My
head starting vibrating like this is too coincidental.

But there were also posts and comments on that page by some TriPython
folks like Colin Copeland and Jason Hare. You guys will have to share
more about what you've been doing. I think we may want to invite Jason
Hibbets to come talk to us as well. Whaddya think, Eric?

Chris Calloway http://nccoos.org/Members/cbc
office: 3313 Venable Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530