[TriZPUG] Triangle Python User Group

Calvin Spealman ironfroggy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 22:57:47 CET 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Curt Stump <curt at curtstump.com> wrote:

>  Hi TriZPUG,
>
> Since the group is in the process of rethinking its focus I'm going to go
> out on a dangerous limb here and provide feedback as a newcomer to the
> group.  I've attended only a few meetups.  Keep in mind, what follows is
> just my *opinion*.
>
> If you are interested in newcomers:
> 1) *A name change is a fantastic idea*.  I avoided coming for several
> months initially simply because of the Zope reference/focus.  I am seeking
> Python.
> 2) *Use the meetup website *instead of mail lists and trizpug website.
> Benefits: A) the group looks bigger and more active to newcomers [and
> importantly to those who are considering joining], B) group communication
> will be easier than the mixed/top/bottom/full replies that now show up in
> long email chains.  Members would of course need to join meetup but that's
> pretty easy.  Then to attend specific meetups you simply click "attend" in
> an email that's sent to you.  It's a pretty easy way to increase your
> online visibility as a group.

I'll be doing my part to encourage meetup.com usage, and I would really
like to see more people *actually* RSVP. This does make the group look more
attractive to others. Seeing zero or a few people listed as attending, even
when more showed up, is only bad PR for us, so I agree here.

However, I don't think we will or should move from the mailing list.., fact
is, a mailing list is a tried and truish communication tool for technical
groups and a lot of us are familiar with them, and they let you see whats
going on without having to go out to yet another site to check for updates.
My email inbox is my life inbox!

> 3) *Arrange a speaker in advance* for each month.  Advantages: speaker
> has time to prepare a good presentation, and members will know about the
> topic in advance (and can publicize it).  Putting this information on
> meetup also gives newcomers an idea of what to expect over time.

Speakers cannot be "arranged" when they are free, but anyone can volunteer.
We could, of course, encourage this sooner/louder.

Want to present something in April? Let us know!

One idea: maybe we could alternate lightning talk and single longer talks,
and on the lightning talk months we'll have time to find and encourage a
more prepared full talk for the next month.

>  4) *Leave plenty of time for open discussion*, lightning talks, etc.
> (something you are already doing).  This means there is always a reason to
> come to the meetups independent of topic.

There is always time to discuss afterwards, too, when we go out for drinks.

>  5) *Connect with newcomers*, even if this means spending a bit of extra
> effort. What I seek from a local Python group is not just a meetup once per
> month but people I can interact with about Python in the meantime (even if
> briefly via twitter or any quick means).  The trizpug group email list is
> an option for this, but I don't see the list being used this way (which I
> think is actually a good thing).  Summary on this point: existing members
> probably already have a local Python network whereas newcomers may not.
> You can help them get connected, even by simply encouraging existing
> members to reach out to new members.

As a newcomer you are connecting right here, right now. What are you
working on? What are you interested in? Let us know (on a different thread)!

>  6) *Ask for feedback.*  Quick feedback (even anonymous if desired) is
> easy with a tool like Survey Monkey for example (or even directly on
> meetup.com for simple polls).  Also, members could set up surveys to test
> practically any idea with the group, such as identifying potential
> speakers, desired topics, group meeting times or location preferences, etc.
>
> Remember, this is just my opinion, I'm not planning to defend any of those
> points.  Take them if they make sense for your group, otherwise just leave
> them.  Also I'm happy to volunteer time to the group in areas where I can.
> Thanks for hosting the meetups -- I've enjoyed them so far and hope to make
> future ones.
>
> Curt Stump
> email: create at curtstump.com
> linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/curtstump
> twitter: @CurtStump

http://techblog.ironfroggy.com/
Follow me if you're into that sort of thing:
http://www.twitter.com/ironfroggy