[TriZPUG] Triangle Python User Group

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Fri Mar 23 19:47:09 CET 2012

On 3/23/2012 2:13 AM, Kurt Grandis wrote:
> Chris reminded us last night that we're coming up on our ten year
> anniversary.

I've been looking for a way to commemorate our tenth anniversary, which
occurs in October this year. And this re-identification seems like the
perfect way to do that, especially if it means more do-ers doing things
in the do-acracy (HACK! NIGHT! PLEASE!). Ten years on, we're still as
relevant as ever and still growing.

I promised to post some things. And the first one of these things fits
really nicely into this sudden energy thing. It's a talk from CUSEC 2012
by Bret Victor, the guy who invented the iPad interface, the Alesis
Micron, and a bunch of other stuff I bet most of you have used and
thought were really really well done. It's a talk somewhat about
immediate feedback, which our host Mark Corzine was touching upon at the
after-meeting last night. And it's also a talk about having guiding
principles and knowing what your motivations are:

http://flowingdata.com/2012/02/20/live-coding-and-inventing-on-principle/

I don't agree one hundred percent with everything is he says (the guy
has way too madd skillz to be slagging on skillz). And I'm not much for
navel-gazing meta-hacking. But it is an amazing talk I think all
TriZPUGers should see, if only for the super cool programming apps in
it. It's good to know one's motivations. So that you can evaluate your
guiding principles. To see if they are really going to get you what you
want.

Also, for Joseph (and Jim, too!), this is d3.js:

http://mbostock.github.com/d3/

And this is the crazy d3 designer app inspired by Bret's talk:

http://gabrielflor.it/water

Finally, as long as we are doing some user group self-reflection, here
are two relevant PyCon 2012 videos:

http://pyvideo.org/video/691/1-psf-sprints-supporting-the-community-one-spr

http://pyvideo.org/video/719/diversity-in-practice-how-the-boston-python-user

I don't subscribe to every idea within those videos. But I think they
are food for thought. About our principles and motivations. Stir the pot
every once in awhile.

Chris Calloway http://nccoos.org/Members/cbc
office: 3313 Venable Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530