[TriZPUG] Chipin for Sea Sprint

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Wed Aug 15 00:36:54 CEST 2012

Hey, I want to let you know about a sprint that's being organized by a
couple of TriZPUGers: Andy Leeb and Ian Anderson. I'm helping them out a
little because I believe in their idea.

It's called "Sea Sprint" and it takes place Sept 21-24 on Oak Island,
NC. Andy and Ian have completely underwritten the housing for all the
sprinters. Yeah, I know, very nice of them. They are pretty much princes.

The purpose of Sea Sprint is to put some crazy sophisticated technology
called "Deco" into upcoming Plone releases. Deco brings TTW drag and
drop layout of content "tiles" to Plone sites. Deco has been more than
three years in the making. It's ridiculously awesome, a truly killer app
in the classic sense. This sprint is the last step in getting Deco
pipelined into Plone releases and thereby into the one-click installers.

Because this sprint is highly technical, it's an invitational sprint.
And because it's on the white sand beaches of North Carolina, it's drawn
the top shelf of Plone talent from all over the world. That was the
strategy: if the sprint is on a nice beach, the top dogs will come. It
worked like a whistle.

Because so many of the right invitees to the sprint accepted and because
the sprint is about getting this killer app into Plone production, the
Plone Foundation has designated Sea Sprint as a "strategic" sprint. That
means the foundation endorses the sprint, acts as the sprint's financial
agent, and has funded the travel for one of the sprint's technical
leaders from Slovenia. Yeah, I know, very nice of them, too.

Despite a huge financial investment from a number of sponsors (including
TriZPUG, because I kicked in the last of the PyCamp funds for this
year), there's still a short ways to go in making the sprint pay for
itself. The Plone Foundation has set up a Chipin page to accept
donations to the sprint:

http://seasprint2012.chipin.com

All donations go directly to the Plone Foundation. The Plone Foundation
is a not-for-profit corporation recognized as a tax-exempt 501(c)(3)
charitable organization. As such, your donation is tax-deductible to the
extent allowed by law.

I'm just leaving this here because some of you previously have been
generous when we've had donations pages for sprints. I thank you for any
assistance rendered now or in the past.

This is all I'm going to post about this sprint to this list. You can
keep up with the sprint progress by following blog posts on
http://planet.plone.org and http://planet.trizpug.org. Andy, Ian, and I
will be giving a sprint report-out at the 10th Plone Conference in
Arnhem, The Netherlands, October 8-14. I imagine that will pop-up on
blip.tv and slideshare at some point after the conference.

Chris Calloway http://nccoos.org/Members/cbc
office: 3313 Venable Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530