[TriZPUG] web application best practices

Nathan Rice nathan.alexander.rice at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 16:42:17 CET 2011

Hi all,

Though I'm not normally a web guy, my job has me doing some web
related stuff.  As a result, I've been trying to translate standard
software engineering best practices over as much as possible.  Since
this is a web-dev heavy group, I'd like to hear from other people
about what they consider best practices.

My current list of web application specific things...

1. separate client side and server side cleanly using services.
2. avoid generating client specific code on the server as much as possible.
3. separate out complex page elements into their own pages, then pull
them in to a main page with an ajax load.
4. Do not put ANY logic in your request handlers.  Just use them to
collect and validate any URL arguments or post values, manage
security, then call a separate function and generate a response from
the result of that.
5. Avoid hand coding presentation functions for every class
separately.  Create middleware layers, and implement functions on
divergent classes that let the middleware generate the proper results.

Nathan