[TriZPUG] Wanted: Biased Opinions: Django or Pyramid (Pylons/BFG)?

Josh Johnson josh_johnson at unc.edu
Tue Mar 29 15:16:49 CEST 2011

This isn't a typical "I've never used a web framework, what should I
pick" post, I promise.

I'm about to embark on a new project that doesn't have a platform
requirement. I've spent the last year or so working on a very large,
very anno--er--challenging Plone project, and I'm ready for something
different.

I'm honestly interested in hearing _biased_, non-objective, highly
personal accounts of why I should use Django or Pyramid.

I've got more-than-basic understandings of both, but I don't have a
large amount of real-world experience with either. I'd feel comfortable
proceeding either way.

I know there are a lot of very smart people around here using both to do
some really big things, so I figure, this might be my best chance at
getting some usable advice :)

I also think very highly of our community and don't see this devolving
into a flame-war. However, I'm very OK with discussing this off-list, on
#trizpug, 'IRL', over food, in a sauna, whatever. My passport isn't
current, so clandestine meetings in countries without extradition
treaties are out. :P

I'm very happy to elaborate on the requirements we do have, but it's a
pretty basic app that I think either platform could handle well. It'll
be open source, so easy deployment is important, but I think both
frameworks cover that well.

Thanks!
JJ

--