[TriZPUG] Open-Source Licenses - what do you like to use and why?

Josh Johnson josh_johnson at unc.edu
Fri Apr 15 20:29:29 CEST 2011

I'm on the cusp of releasing a bunch of software that we've developed
over the past couple of years here in the blitzen group.

So I'm at the point where I'm choosing a license.

I consulted UNC's office of legal council about this, and they said that
campus is cool with whatever license we decide to use, as long as it has
a 'no implied warranty/non-liability' disclaimer. (not in those exact
words, of course :D)

So, we've got a lot of options.

I'm just curious what folks in the area are using, have used in the
past, and any personal anecdotes regarding how it went over time.

I'm indifferent as far as virality, restrictions on reuse, providing
source, commercialization, etc.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on any licensing strategies
you've tried; starting a philosophical debate, not so much. :)

Thanks!
JJ

--
Josh Johnson