[TriZPUG] OT: Website monitoring

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Tue Sep 21 20:48:40 CEST 2010

On 9/21/2010 1:57 PM, Joseph Tate wrote:
> Do any of you have a favorite service for monitoring websites?  I
> don't need 100% uptime, but I also don't think that I should have to
> pay $$ a month to monitor a website.  It seems like it should be more
> like ¢¢.

Monitoring a web server or web site?

If web server, a ZPUG should recommend Zenoss to you:

http://zenoss.org

It will run Nagios plug-ins.

Cakti, Ganglia, and Munin are also popular for looking at monitor
output. But Zenoss is what the cool kids use. There's even a local
support guy in the Triangle.

For web *site* monitoring, this one is as low as $5/month and was done
in Django:

http://www.howsthe.com/

But you can do that yourself with a few scripts. The problem is simply
hosting your monitor scripts somewhere meaningful. Web site monitoring
is all a matter of *where* you are monitoring from. And it measures as
much about how up your monitor is as it does how much your site is up.

Web server monitoring is generally more useful.

office: 332 Chapman Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530