[TriZPUG] TriLUG, Mar 11: Web Security 101 (Re: Python Hack Night Reboot)

Justis Peters justis.peters at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 22:37:21 CET 2010

Chris Calloway wrote:
> Python Hack Night is tomorrow (Thursday), 6pm, Room 435 Chapman Hall,
> UNC Campus, Chapel Hill:
I'm excited that we're starting a hack night and sad that I will be
missing it. I hope that we'll consider having future hack nights some
time other than the second Thursday of the month, since that's when
TriLUG (Triangle Linux Users Group) holds their meetings. Both Linux and
Python are pretty important to me.

Some of you may actually be interested in coming to tomorrow's TriLUG
meeting, to hear Michael Peters of Plus Three deliver his talk on "Web
Security 101". Here is a description of his talk, as listed on the
TriLUG website:

"Security is important in any programming environment but programming
for the web has some unique possibilities and hazards. Most web
programmers have little to no training in security and lots of web
development is done by people who don't wear a full-time developer hat.
Add to this the fact that bad security on a web project can have very
public and very embarassing consequences.

This talk will walk through the basics of web security without focussing
too much on the particular language that you choose (but all examples
will be in Perl and PHP). We'll also look at various attack vectors (SQL
Injection, XSS, CSRF, and more) and see how you can avoid them. Whether
you're an experienced web developer (we all need reminding) or just
starting out, this talk can help avoid being the next easy harvest of
The Bad Guys."

The meeting begins at 7pm and is held at RedHat Headquarters on NCSU's
Centennial Campus. Full meeting details can be found here:
http://trilug.org/wiki/Meeting:2010_Mar_11

Kind regards,
Justis Peters