[TriZPUG] wxPython compile doesn't install wx module

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Sun Mar 7 06:03:25 CET 2010

On Mar 6, 2010, at 8:58 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote
> wxPython (v2.8.10.1) is a prerequesite for matplotlib (v0.99.1.1)

Since when?

matplotlib works with about 11 different graphics toolkits, one of
which is wx. But it doesn't require wx. The default rendering engine
is AGG, which is included with matplotlib. You have to configure a
request to use wx when installing matplotlib by customizing both
matplotlibrc and setup.cfg, and there is choice to use wx with or
without AGG. Only then will the import wx setup.py step execute. And
even then, if wx is requested but not found, the matplotlib install
degrades gracefully and doesn't try to use it.

wxpython requires wxwidgets. Is that the problem? (And what Tom Bryan
said.)

What linux are your running? You should just be able to get matplotlib
and wxpython from your repo and be good to go.

I install matplotlib in a virtualenv, though. I've easy_installed it.
And I've done the setup.py way.

This book might help you:

https://www.packtpub.com/matplotlib-python-development/book

http://www.secoora.org
office: 332 Chapman Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530