[TriZPUG] Fwd: New Nightlight Hours! Plus, Binary Marketing Show / Old Time Jam / 919 Noise / Peter Pendergrass / DJ Steph Russ / Crooked Cabaret

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Tue Aug 31 22:08:48 CEST 2010

On 8/31/2010 9:38 AM, Chris Rossi wrote:
> The nightlight is now opening at 5pm with coffee and free wifi.  They say
> they're open to meetings, so maybe we could try a TriZPUG there sometime, if
> we have trouble finding a venue some month.

Do they have parking? A video projector?

I don't think we'll ever have a hard time finding a place to meet in
Chapel Hill. We've been meeting at CCC lately, even though the meeting
room is tiny for the number of people who show up, because they have
plenty of parking and Brad called shotgun to have it there. If he hadn't
called shotgun, I would have as I have plenty of high tech meeting rooms
at my immediate disposal and we were meeting in them before Brad called
shotgun.

I don't think there's a lack of places to meet in Durham or Raleigh,
either. We just haven't had anyone calling shotgun soon enough in
Raleigh lately and one case where shotgun was called in Durham but
abandoned right before the meeting.

It's more of a people/expectation problem that a meeting place problem.
There are probably at least 20 people on this list with the ability to
reserve a suitable room at NCSU if they wish. It was suggested at our
Milltown social last week that maybe we should fish around for interest
at Red Hat HQ, since that is on a campus with plenty of parking, lots of
high tech goodness, a history of hosting TriLUG meetings, and is right
next to where TriZPUG met for years.

But it's still a matter of someone calling shotgun on that in a timely
manner and sticking with it. WIth the shotgun rules, you don't wait to
be served. You do the serving.

You want to call shotgun a least a month in advance. You want to call it
on an appropriate venue because restaurants aren't set up for it, places
that kick you out at a certain time aren't it, and places without wifi
or video projection aren't it. Universities are ideal if you can get the
parking thing worked out. And if you've called shotgun and later find
you can't make it, it really is up to you to find a replacement host to
carry on with an already publicized meeting. It's also ideal and cuts
down on confusion to do the same rotation of places. So calling shotgun
can imply some long term responsibilities.

There's still a reservation for the September meeting at Duke North
Pavillion. Announcements just haven't been posted yet. There are several
people returning from DjangoCon in September who should have plenty to tell.

However, I'll get together with you at Nightlight anytime you ask. :)

office: 332 Chapman Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530