[TriZPUG] Web UI toolkits

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 20:34:55 CEST 2010

I've got a RESTful web service that I want to build a web client UI
for, but either I'm blind, don't know what to search for, or don't see
anything I like.

Does anyone have a favorite front end only toolkit?  How do you use
it?  Best primer/tutorial links?

Here's what I consider essential for such a toolkit:

stackable windowing type elements (dialogs (modal and non modal),
tabs, wizards, toolbars, etc.)
back/forward button handling/bookmarking
easy breadcrumbs
programmatic view switching (for use with application navigation and
bookmarking)
local data caching
Event handling:
 * standard click, mouse, load events
 * data cache invalidation, redraw
 * arbitrary events
keyboard shortcuts
extensible data serialization
accessibility, localization and internationalization
A rich array of widgets

I bet there's more that I'm not thinking about right now.

I use jQuery pretty extensively, and know that there are plugins that
can do much of this stuff, but I'd still consider it a library rather
than a toolkit.  I don't think YUI has all of these things.  I've
built rich client UIs using MFC, Java AWT and Swing and others, so
that's what I'm used to.

--
Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com