[TriZPUG] Want to present on MoinMoin, when are the next couple of meetings?

David Handy david at handysoftware.com
Tue Nov 10 23:20:48 CET 2009

All of the recent talk about TriZPUG being for users of any Python web
framework or none at all reminds me, I'd like to present on MoinMoin some
time.

It's going to get a little crazy the next couple of months with the
holidays, so I'm basically announcing my intent to present (is that how
shotgun rules work?) but when exactly when I present depends on how meeting
times match up with family schedule.

Why MoinMoin?

 * Do you want a content management system with through-the-web editing,
   user-editable pages, easily uploading/retrieving of regular files, etc?
 * Do you need hierarchical security with complete control over who edits or
   sees any thing?
 * Is your web hosting really limited, like CGI only?
 * Is the organization you are supporting small so you want something
   light? Say, just for you or your family?
 * But, you want your system to be able to scale up to thousands of users
   if it ever had to? Using well-known software used by successful
   organizations like python.org, apache.org, and debian.org?
 * Would you like the content management system to be themeable so you can
   completely redo the look and layout if you desire?
 * But, are you kind of non-motivated to customize the theme if you don't
   have to, and want it to work well out-of-the-box?
 * Do you like the idea of your content being stored in regular files that
   make sense even without the application server to interpret them?
   (Easy backups, could write your own conversion/migration scripts without
   guidance, etc.)
 * Do you want to be able to customize the system with extremely
   straightforward Python code, using a well-defined extension system that
   works over different versions of the system?
 * Would you like to be able to easily create several instances of your content
   management system on the same server with almost zero increase in
   resource usage (memory and processor)?
 * Would you like those instances to easily share a user database, or not,
   at your option? "Single-signon" or not, at your option?
 * For some crazy reason would you need your content management system to
   have "single signon" with an existing PHP app, that, much as you despise
   it, is where everyone is registered already?
 * Have you tried Zope/Plone and found it too complicated or
   resource-intensive for your needs?

If your answer to some of the above questions is yes, then believe it or
not, MoinMoin might be for you.

http://moinmo.in/

Yes, it's a wiki, but it can be so much more. I use it every day at work and
at home. I used it as part of the registration management system for a
regional homeschooling conference with hundreds of attendees. Since I don't
hear anyone else talking about it, it must be some kind of best-kept secret,
and I'm willing to blow its cover.

So when/where are the next couple of meetings?

Thanks,
David H

--
David Handy