[TriZPUG] Hello and Test Message

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Wed Oct 15 22:10:09 CEST 2008

On 10/9/2008 1:38 PM, Ken MacKenzie wrote:
> Now to the second paragraph.  I am looking for some information,
> documentation, examples, etc for talking to U2 databases, particularly
> Unidata with Python.  I say the pyCDF module out there, not clear if
> that is what I need.  If anyone has anything to point me in the right
> direction I would much appreciate it.  I am looking to do some quick
> reporting and analysis tools for a set of business operations I
> support and I think Python will work well for this.

Welcome, Ken. Sorry for the late reply. I've been at Plone Conference
for ten days and haven't checked email in all that time.

The pyCDF module is for NetCDF data. I use it every day.

The NetCDF specification is maintained by Unidata, a program of the
University Corporation for for Atmospheric Research (UCAR).

Somehow IBM rebranded their database products, calling one of them
"UniData" (bicapitalized), and trademarked the name despite prior use by
UCAR. UniData is part of IBM's U2 line of database products.

IBM intends to replease Python, Ruby, and PHP support for U2, but I
don't think they have yet. In the meantime, you *might* be able to use
U2's ODBC driver with an ODBC module for Python like mxODBC, pyodbc, or
ceodbc.

http://www.secoora.org
office: 332 Chapman Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530