[triangle-zpug] Google's App Engine

Chris Church flyingfred0+trizpug at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 08:09:28 CEST 2008

Chris Calloway had sent out a link to it on Tuesday.  I believe it was just
announced on Monday, but all of the developer accounts have been claimed, so
there's just a waiting list now to actually be able to run your code on
Google's servers.  Apparently one person has used their precious developer
spot to do nothing but request PHP support...ugh.  (
http://i-want-php.appspot.com/ )
You can still download the SDK and try it out on your own machine.  I went
through the "Getting Started" guide in less than 15 minutes just to get my
feet wet.  If you have an existing app running on your Python web framework
of the week (Turbogears, Django, etc.) -- and it doesn't depend on any C
extensions, sockets, write access to the filesystem, etc. -- it shouldn't be
too much trouble to make it work with the appengine.  The biggest change
will be how you define and use your data model, since Google has their own
data store you have to use instead of a relational database.

At the very least, I think it will allow developers to focus more on the
apps themselves and spend less time worrying about where to host it and how
to make it scalable.