[triangle-zpug] Help with using different skins within Plone sites...

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Thu Dec 20 17:16:42 CET 2007

deann corum wrote:
> Further, the method WORKS on a Plone site WITHOUT zeo.

Wow.

I've been busy for awhile and just saw this. Did you find what's going
on with having it work differently on zeo? That's pretty weird.

Caching may affect this.

Having a different zope.conf per zclient may affect this.

> Bottom line: WHAT is the best way to facilitate having a different skin
> on a folder within an existing Zeo/Plone site? Do we just have to make a
> separate site for each sub-division within the site?

I assume you saw this:

http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/set-skin-for-folder

which looks quite old. This looks old, too:

http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/change-folder-appearance

This was updated recently and has comments to say it works in Plone 3:

http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/create-a-different-look-and-feel-for-different-sections-of-your-web-site-without-creating-new-skins

There is older information here as well:

http://docs.neuroinf.de/PloneBook/ch7.rst

which talks about changing the skin for different roles and says
different skins per folder "an lead to confusion, so I don't recommend
it." But I think he is talking about end user confusion.

This looks fairly recent, and seems to suggest the old information is
somewhat still valid:

http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za/Members/hedley/my-random-musings/plone-skin-switching-by-inspecting-the-url

I think a lot of this depends on which Plone you are using. I think all
bets are off with Plone 3, which is all about Zope 3 viewlets. Some
discussion here:

http://www.nabble.com/Plone-3-Themes-td12471858s6746.html

I see Limi here saying having different skin per folder is simplest
(with a downside):

http://www.nabble.com/skin-per-folder-td8993146s6746.html

Some products I here talked about in regard to this issue are Subplone
and CMFUrlSkinSwitcher. Subplone actually attacks a different problem
(separating content from site tools) but can be used for skin control.
CMFUrlSkinSwitcher looks old (README.txt says "Sorry, outdated!"), but
uses regular expressions on the URL to determine which skin to apply. It
looks like it just manages an access rule for you.

http://plone.org/products/subplone/
http://plone.org/products/subplone/documentation/faq/how-do-i-use-subplone/
https://weblion.psu.edu/trac/weblion/wiki/MakeAsubfolderAnavigationRoot

http://dev.plone.org/collective/browser/CMFUrlSkinSwitcher/trunk

I would highly recommend taking these questions to #plone and plone-users:

irc://irc.freenode.net/#plone

http://www.seacoos.org
office: 332 Chapman Hall   phone: (919) 962-4323