[triangle-zpug] Plone newbie with rendering issue

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Fri Dec 7 19:00:05 CET 2007

Stephanie Thirolle wrote:
> On this site:  https://collaborate.nicholas.duke.edu/blog/hawaii/

What's in the water at Duke that y'all keep coming up with the best
looking Plone skins?

> I have a rather large banner that I've set as the background image for
> #portal-header.  Trouble is that at screen sizes smaller than 19", IE
> and Opera both add a good amount of padding beneath it -- pushing the 3
> columns of my layout down.  Firefox and Mozilla render things fine.

Unfortunately, this is not only a CSS thing, but is very hard to solve
because IE and Opera don't have visual CSS debugging tools like Firefox
does.

So one thing I'm seeing is this is a fixed width layout. The default
portal-logo, which is a background image, is for the default liquid layout.

You may want to change that in your skin to an img tag in the
global_logo template. I've messed with that one when I've had weird
IE-dependent layout issues. CSS in IE is just broken beyond recognition
and so you have to play with it.

You may also want to pose the question on the Plone UI list, which says
it "can be used for CSS questions, usability advice - and is also the
official mailing list for the Plone UI team."