[Tkinter-discuss] Exception protection to tk calls

Vasilis Vlachoudis Vasilis.Vlachoudis at cern.ch
Thu Apr 1 03:54:40 EDT 2021

Thank you Michael,

>> grab_release() on a widget that has already been destroyed or, in the/

this is also my understanding, however the places that happens are on
Dialog code(s) like

import tkinter as tk

class Dialog(tk.Toplevel):
	width = -1
	height = -1
	# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
	def __init__(self, master, **kw):
		super().__init__(master, class_="MyDialog", **kw)
		self.transient(master)
		self.title("My title")
		frame = tk.Frame(self)
		frame.pack(side=tk.TOP, fill=tk.BOTH)
		# ... various widget+buttons creation
		#...
		#...
		self.protocol("WM_DELETE_WINDOW", self.close)

		if Dialog.width>0:
			self.geometry("%dx%d"%(Dialog.width, Dialog.height))
		self.wait_visibility()
		self.focus_set()
		self.grab_set()
		self.wait_window()

	def close(self, event=None):
		Dialog.width  = self.winfo_width()
		Dialog.height = self.winfo_height()
		self.grab_release()
		self.destroy()

My impression is that on slow network connections (using remote X11 session),
sometimes the dialog is displayed before the wait_visibility is being executed and
if the user closes the window from the window manager, it arrives to the focus_set,
grab_set or wait_window with a window that doesn't exist and then I get the error message.

I've once got also the TclError on the "frame = tk.Frame(self)" command

Maybe the self.geometry() is the culprit?

This types of errors are not something frequent. They are rare, but they happen. We have
several thousands active users around the world and I get an automatic report maybe once
every a couple of weeks.

Vasillis