[Tkinter-discuss] ttk.Label unicode characters

Michael Lange klappnase at web.de
Sun Jan 20 14:30:35 EST 2019

Ooops, looks like I might need to correct myself.

On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 20:06:18 +0100
Michael Lange <klappnase at web.de> wrote:

(...)
> according to
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.lang.tcl/OJqYYzCgKQo
> there is some work in progress with Tcl, otoh even if you install the
> latest Tcl/Tk 8.7 it might be difficult to get past this TclError which
> seems to be hardcoded into Tkinter (with Tcl I don't get any error here,
> just a placeholder where the unicode character should be).

when I try to change your example a bit, like this:

l = ttk.Label(root)
l.grid()
l.tk.eval(l._w + ' configure -text "Test \U0001d306 String"')

there is actually some character displayed which looks similar to this
one: https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/U+1D306 , which I found rather
surprising since with Tcl I get only a placeholder. The same happens when
I replace your unicode character with the smiley \U0001f600 they used in
the page I referred to before. tk.eval appears to do some magic here.

Regards

No more blah, blah, blah!
		-- Kirk, "Miri", stardate 2713.6