[Tkinter-discuss] real and platform independent maximizing a window

Michael Lange klappnase at web.de
Fri Mar 30 15:40:04 EDT 2018

Hi,

On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 01:15:59 +0200
<c.buhtz at posteo.jp> wrote:

> When looking around about the question how to "maximize a window" with
> Tkinter there are two approaches.
>
> 1.
> Using wm_state('-zoomed', True).
> Problem: Not working on all platforms. e. g. "-zoomed" is not allowed
> on Debian unstable with XFCE on Python3.6 Tkinter 8.6
>
> 2.
> Compute the screen resolution or maxsize() and set it manually. This
> doesn't work also. The size doesn't fit exact and the "maximize" button
> on the top right corner is still available - should be transformed to a
> "normal size" button because the current state is "maximized".
>
> Isn't there a platform independent way to real(!) maximize a window
> with Tkinter? If not is there a ticket in the bug tracker about it?

unless I missed some recent development, there is no such way.
I don't think this a bug, but rather a "missing feature" in Tk (if one
wants to put it that way).
Maybe one major problem here is that usually you don't really want a
maximized window to occupy the entire screen, but only the part of the
screen that is not covered by system panels. With X11 there are plenty of
WMs / DEs to deal with, and it is most likely hard to
satisfy them all. But I don't know for sure, that is just a guess.

Best regards

Military secrets are the most fleeting of all.
		-- Spock, "The Enterprise Incident", stardate 5027.4