[Tkinter-discuss] multicolumn list/tree with images

c.buhtz at posteo.jp c.buhtz at posteo.jp
Fri Feb 16 16:06:58 EST 2018

Dear Michael,

thank you very much for your valuable reply.

> there does not seem to be a way to
> make only the "checkbutton" icon sensitive to mouse clicks

The event object have the exact coordinates of the click position.
Based on them you can identify the row and column. Quick & Dirty
example

def on_click(event):
    iid = event.widget.selection()[0]
    col = event.widget.identify(component='column',
                                x=event.x, y=event.y)
    print('iid: {} column: {}'.format(iid, col))

> There are several third party solutions available, though.

I know. But I had some problems with their documentation, missing
support channels, inactive community, unclear project status, ...

> TkinterTreectrl is a wrapper for the tktreectrl tcl extension
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/tktreectrl/
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/tkintertreectrl/

What is the difference compared to tkinter.Treeview?
What is the difference between your two links? Which one is more active
and up to date? There is also a fork on GitHub where I opened an Issue
about project status
https://github.com/apnadkarni/tktreectrl/issues/1
No examples no documentation.

> able to do this, like tablelist and maybe tktable, you can look at
> this archived page for more information and download links:
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20140412080251/http://tkinter.unpythonic.net:80/wiki/Widgets

Very important link - good to have the archive!

I checked the links: Some dead, some unclear about project status,
features, screenshots, docu. I wrote some mails, issues and bug-tickets
to be clearer in this points.

"TkTable"
https://sourceforge.net/p/tktable/bugs/318/

Very interesting sounds the "The Multi-Column Listbox and Tree Widget
Package Tablelist 6.0" where screenshots are available, too.
<http://www.nemethi.de/>
But it is pure Tcl code. I don't know how to use that with Python3.
There is some quick and dirty code around on the web. But no official
supported or infos about how much it fits to the Tcl code. No
repository or support channel.

Pmw megawidgets
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/pmw>
Website currently offline. No docu, no examples, no screenshots.

> Finally there seems to be a tix.TList widget which might be able to do
> what you want, though I never used it myself, see
> https://docs.python.org/3/library/tkinter.tix.html
The docu is currently offline. Don't know how to use or if it fit my
needs. The little words about tix in the official Python3 docu doesn't
help. No code no examples no features or screenshots.

That is the situation.