[Tkinter-discuss] IDLE can't be opened

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Fri Jun 19 20:38:54 CEST 2015

[Petr, please reply to the mailing list, not directly to me, so that others can contribute to or benefit from the discussion.  Thanks!]

On Jun 18, 2015, at 08:46, Petr Tvrdik <ptvrdik at genetics.utah.edu> wrote:
> I have noticed that even inside my /usr/local/bin/ directory, idle2.7 or idle3.4 commands do not work
> however, when I use ’sudo idle2.7’ or ’sudo idle3.4’ both work flawlessly with the new ActiveTcl
> so my problem seems to be more related to root privileges and unix folder structure perhaps

Are you by any chance trying to launch idle when you have changed your working directory to /usr/local/bin?  You shouldn't do that.

Try the following:

cd ~
sudo rm -rf .idlerc
cd Desktop
/usr/local/bin/idle2.7

and see if that works.  You should never have to run idle undo sudo and you never should!

--
  Ned Deily
  nad at acm.org -- []