[Tkinter-discuss] Interrupt a long process

Vasilis Vlachoudis Vasilis.Vlachoudis at cern.ch
Fri Feb 7 17:46:58 CET 2014

Hi all,

in my canvas sometimes it happens to have a long process to insert lots of items.

This typically takes a lot of time (up to min) so I want to give the possibility to the user
to interrupt this process.
And since I am adding to the Canvas I cannot push it on a thread.

So in the main thread, in the big loop, once I exceed a certain time
I display a button to interrupt the long process and I call the update_idletasks()
periodically. However it is not possible for the user to click on the button.

It seems that the update_idletasks doesn't update the "Button-1" messages
How can I do it?

Thanks in advance
Vasilis