[Tkinter-discuss] tkFileDialog.askopenfile() mac

JBB jeanbigboute at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 03:30:16 CEST 2014

On 8/12/14, 3:03 PM, Cameron Laird wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 07:23:11AM -0700, JBB wrote:

[ Snip ]
> 			.
> Good follow-up, JBB; it helps the rest of us to learn
> your findings as you describe them here.
>
> Tkinter is indeed the official Python GUI toolkit.  At
> the same time, as you have also discovered, there is a
> wealth of more-or-less well-supported alternatives (I
> once argued in a published article that Python boasted
> or suffered from a wider range of useful GUI toolkits
> than *any* language, including even C and Java).
> Extension of Python is so easy that even intermediate-
> level Pythoneers with a good idea or two can quickly
> create an interesting extension; Web frameworks and
> ssh libraries are a couple of other domains which, at
> different level, have witnessed these remarkable
> radiations.
>
> We're all fans of Tkinter here.  At the same time, if
> you describe more of your own situation, we might be
> able to help you evaluate how its competitors are
> likely to serve you.

I did a little reading on some of the other toolkits and I think Tkinter
will suit me just fine.  Not that that other ones aren't good, it just
seems like more configuration is required for the basic operations I'm
likely to do in the near future: simple dialog boxes to open and save
files, maybe a very simple GUI front-end to a data processing script.

There are a lot of people who've been where I am with Tkinter and
there's a lot of good, ready-made answers on the discussion forums I can
use right off the bat.  The code I initially asked about falls into that
category.  The minor back end glitch aside, it works well and I am able
to understand its features.

JBB