[Tkinter-discuss] tkinter extensions

Beinan Li li.beinan at gmail.com
Sun May 19 00:09:43 CEST 2013

Hi Tkinter,

I'm new to the list and have to confess that I'm a newbie
that needs recommendations on high-level (compound) widgets based on
tkinter.
As far as I understand, I assume ttk has quite a number of high-level
widgets such as notebook,
but the inventory is still not as big as one may find in other toolkits
like wx or qt.

>From tkinter website (http://wiki.python.org/moin/TkInter), I saw a list of
extensions:

   -

   Pmw <http://wiki.python.org/moin/Pmw> (http://pmw.sourceforge.net)
   -

   Tix <http://wiki.python.org/moin/Tix> (
   http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-Tix.html)
   -

   TkZinc <http://wiki.python.org/moin/TkZinc> (http://www.tkzinc.org)
   -

   Tkinter3000 <http://wiki.python.org/moin/Tkinter3000> (
   http://tkinter.effbot.org)
   -

   How Tkinter can exploit Tcl/Tk
extensions<http://wiki.python.org/moin/How%20Tkinter%20can%20exploit%20Tcl/Tk%20extensions>

But not sure if that list still up to date.

Correct me if I'm wrong please.
I followed the links and found that at least Pmw, TkZink (last update 2007,
http://www.tkzinc.org/news/)
and Tkinter3000 (last update in 2006: http://effbot.org/zone/wck.htm) are
not under active dev.

Tix looks like already part of the stdlib, but this page (
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12499465/tix-tutorials-in-python)
suggests that ttk can largely replace it. Personally I doubt it because if
that were the case, Tix (py2) or tkinter.tix (py3) wouldn't
coexist with ttk for this long. But I don't see a lot of tutorials about
how to use Tix with tkinter. That stackoverflow post is probably
the closest clue I can find. So I wonder if Tix has been widely adopted.

Then about using Tcl/Tk extensions directly (
http://wiki.python.org/moin/How%20Tkinter%20can%20exploit%20Tcl/Tk%20extensions
)
that seems to be the technique used by tkinter.tix under the hood (?). I
wonder, from your experience, if this approach can provide
acceptable stability and performance.

Please feel free to give other recommendations about compound widgets if
any. If you'd say that Tix is my best bet then any docs or
resources about it would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Beinan