[Tkinter-discuss] Detecting third-party ttk themes

Michael Lange klappnase at web.de
Mon Mar 11 19:30:57 CET 2013

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 20:55:46 -0500
Jeff Epler <jepler at unpythonic.net> wrote:

(...)
> so I think the pattern would have to be:
>  * do a dummy [package require impossible-package-name] to ensure that
>    anything directly named in a pkgIndex.tcl gets pulled in
>    (you'll either need a Tcl catch or a Python try/except around this)
>
>  * do a [package require tile-themes] in case that package is installed
>    (you'll either need a Tcl catch or a Python try/except around this)
>
>  * and then prefer [ttk::themes] to ttk.Style().theme_names()

thanks for the explanation.
The strange thing here is that it seems like the first approach is better,
considering that there might be other theme packages we do not know about.
In fact this appears to come close to the "auto-magic" I have been
looking for.

> since I didn't observe any circumstance in which [ttk::themes] listed
> fewer themes than [ttk::style theme names], I wonder whether that isn't
> a candidate for a python bugreport for ttk.py.

I think so too, I filed a report at http://bugs.python.org/issue17397 .

Regards

The heart is not a logical organ.
		-- Dr. Janet Wallace, "The Deadly Years", stardate 3479.4