[Tkinter-discuss] confused on grid positioning vs. imports

Michael Lange klappnase at web.de
Fri Mar 8 10:33:08 CET 2013

Hi,

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 21:38:52 -0800
Monte Milanuk <memilanuk at gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

> from Tkinter import Tk, S, E
> from ttk import Frame, Label, Button, Entry
>
> which works with the original code example, but thats where I get
> confused.
>
> I have to import Label from ttk but the sticky parameters from Tkinter?
>   Pardon me for saying, but that doesn't appear to make a whole lot of
> sense at first glance.  Am I getting that correct, or is there some
> other way to do it that is more correct?
>
> I'm starting to think it'd just be easier to put some tags in comments
> at the start of the file to tell pylint to disable warning me about
> wildcard imports, and just go back to using those!

you may want to have a look at the Tkconstants.py module, where all these
contants like S, N and so on are defined. If you do

	from Tkinter import *

all of these are added to the namespace automagically, however if you do

	import Tkinter

the constants have to be either addressed by Tkinter.S etc. *or* (and
that is what I would recommend) you can simply use the string values the
constants represent, like "s" for S, "left" for LEFT and so on, as in

	labelCel.grid(row=1, column=1, sticky="se")

Regards

Witch!  Witch!  They'll burn ya!
		-- Hag, "Tomorrow is Yesterday", stardate unknown