[Tkinter-discuss] No menu displayed.

François laforgia francois.laforgia at hds.com
Thu Jan 10 11:04:15 CET 2013

Hi all,

I'm a beginner in Tkinter development and I have a problem w/ the menus
under Mac OS.
I would like to build a GUI w/ menus but when I run the program on MAC OS
Lion everything is ok but no menus are displayed in my window. I tried to
run the same program w/ the same Python version on a Ubuntu 12.04 and this
time the menus are correctly displayed.
I also noticed that IDLE doesn't display the menus either.
I'm not stuck as I can continue to code on my Linux but at the end this
program will have to run mainly on Mac OS and at this time I can't provide
it as it is.
I had a look at the known issue on the Python website but nothing seems
related to this problem. It is also possible I do something wrong but I
can't find what. Please can you help me to troubleshoot this issue ?

My configuration is the following:

Mac Book Pro 2.4GHz Core i5 / 4GB RAM
Mac OS X 10.7.5
Python 2.7.3 (the one provided w/ Mac OS)
I believe TK is ver. 8.5 but I don't know how to verify it.

I attached to this email the test case I used to confirm the issue.

Best regards,
Francois.