[Tkinter-discuss] Tk*Font question

Bryan Oakley bryan.oakley at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 01:06:36 CET 2012

On Wednesday, February 29, 2012, Bob Greschke wrote:

> What's the correct way to change the font size?  The "Change" button isn't
> doing what I thought it would.  The font changes size, but turns into some
> friends.  I'm used to ("Monoco", 9) sort of stuff and I'm not sure I
> understand what's going on.

The best way is to use a named font. With that you can do
'myfont.configure(size=new_size)'. Then, every widget that uses that font
will automatically see the change.

For more information see
http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/x444-fonts.htm

Named fonts are one of the true gems of tk. They have been part of the
toolkit for probably a decade or more, and still to the best of my
knowledge no popular toolkit has anything as powerful and easy to use.