[Tkinter-discuss] Questions about treeview

Michael Lange klappnase at web.de
Thu Apr 12 16:17:48 CEST 2012

Hi Bill,

unto us on Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:32:58 -0400:

> Hi all,
> Is it true that the ttk treeview widget 'swallows' right-mouse clicks?
> We have a need that could be met with the treeview if we could only
> figure out how to get pop-up menus to work in that widget. Our tests
> seem to show that regardless of where in the containment structure one
> binds <button-2> (widget, frmae, outframe, window, app), if the widget
> at the "bottom" of the stack is a treeview, the mouse button-2 event
> will not be caught.

Maybe you simply confuse Button-2 (the button in the middle, under the
wheel) and Button-3 ? The following code works here just as expected:

from Tkinter import *
import ttk
root = Tk()
t = ttk.Treeview(root)
t.pack(fill='both', expand=1)

def test(event):
    print 'hi'

t.bind('<3>', test)
root.mainloop()

> Also, are there plans to fix the current problems with horizontal
> scrolling in treeviews?  We have used the work-around of having an
> empty data column that the user can drag to the right; once the drag
> moves past the visible bounds of the frame containing the treeview the
> horizontal scrollbar appears.  This seems clumsy and un-intuitive, so
> we're hoping there's another, better, way to get horizontal scrolling
> to work.

I haven't used the treeview much yet, so maybe I am missing something,
but I do not see any way to do it. Maybe the problem is the way
ttk reports the widget width to the window manager, just a guess though.
For some reason you cannot configure the width of a treeview, maybe this
is related. I am not sure if this is intentional or a bug, but I am afraid
there is not much we can do here, the problem is apparently on the Tcl/Tk
side. Maybe you could file a bug report there?

Regards

No one can guarantee the actions of another.
		-- Spock, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown