[Tkinter-discuss] Tkinter library/technique that supports panels that can be docked, undocked, and resized?

python at bdurham.com python at bdurham.com
Tue Feb 1 14:15:40 CET 2011

Wondering if there's a 3rd party Tkinter or Tk library or a general
programming technique that would allow one to create Tkinter based
applications with panels that can be docked, undocked, and resized
(while docked and undocked)?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. This is a short 1 minute
screencast of a wxPython based framework called Dabo demonstrating the
capabilities that my users have asked for.
http://screencast.com/t/3qRgqHsJVbK

I'm using Python 2.7 under Windows and have noticed that Tkinter appears
to have some built-in concept of docking when TopLevel windows are moved
around the desktop. Is there a way to trap these Tkinter docking events
and use Tkinter's built-in docking behaviors to implement this type of
functionality?

Regards,
Malcolm