[Tkinter-discuss] tkinter X11 vs Aqua on a Mac

embirath embirath at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 00:27:06 CEST 2010

Hi all

I have written a python GUI program using tkinter, which works well on a
windows pc. On a Mac however, there are some issues.

When I run the program on the version of Python which came with the Mac
computer, X11 is not used. Instead, Aqua is used. When Aqua is used,
un-editable Entry fields appear in the same color as editable Entry fields.
There are other issues as well, but generally X11 simply looks much nicer...

I know it is possible to run the tkinter program with X11 on the Mac,
because that is what happens when I run my program through the version of
python that was installed with this other software package called Scisoft...
Unfortunately, Scisoft is running an old version of python (2.4) and there
are other things that break in my program because of this older version.

So I'm wondering how I can force my tkinter program use X11 instead of Aqua?
Any ideas?

Thank you,
Emma