[Tkinter-discuss] Tkinter support different styles of underlining?

Michael Lange klappnase at web.de
Tue Nov 30 20:01:07 CET 2010

Hi,

Thus spoketh python at bdurham.com
unto us on Tue, 30 Nov 2010 02:46:46 -0500:

> Does Tkinter (directly of via tk/tcl) support different styles of
> underlining, eg. dotted underlines or squiggly underlines
> (typically used to indicate a word is misspelled in MS Word or
> FireFox)?

I don't think so, I guess tk internally simply uses an underlined font.

However, if you want to use a text widget, you may want to look at the
text man page, section TAGS, option bgstipple:

-bgstipple bitmap
  Bitmap specifies a bitmap that is used as a stipple pattern for the
  background. It may have any of the forms accepted by Tk_GetBitmap. If
  bitmap has not been specified, or if it is specified as an empty string,
  then a solid fill will be used for the background.

Maybe it is possible to set up a "misspelled" tag using an
appropriate bitmap, though it might take some tweaking to adapt one
bitmap to be usable with any given font.

Regards

There is an old custom among my people.  When a woman saves a man's
life, he is grateful.
		-- Nona, the Kanuto witch woman, "A Private Little War",
		   stardate 4211.8.