[Tkinter-discuss] how make active python 3 use active tcl on mac os?

David Cortesi davecortesi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 22:03:17 CET 2010

well, this was interesting, I didn't know about arch. As you supposed,
running python3 produces a Python process that Activity Monitor says is
"Intel (64 bit)".

However, arch -i386 python3 produces exactly the same thing as I get using
arch -x86_64, namely, an Intel(64 bit) process (and loading the same
_tkinter.so). Hmmm. This would suggest there is only the one architecture
defined in its binary?

applying otool -L to the _tkinter.so that python3 is loading reports
"/System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Tcl" and etc, so
indeed, the Apple Tcl is baked into the dynamic load lib distributed with
Python3.

I cannot find any other version of _tkinter.so that might have been
installed by ActiveTcl. So I'm pretty baffled, as well as disappointed that
there's been no response in the ActiveState "support" forum.

However, thanks for your help!

Dave Cortesi