[Tkinter-discuss] What do you feel is missing from Tkinter?

python at bdurham.com python at bdurham.com
Sun Dec 19 18:23:27 CET 2010

Kevin,

> My gripes with Tk:

> 1. Lack of a cross-platform printing solution. Every other cross-platform toolkit does this, but no one has done it for Tk.

We generate RTF (or HTM) files for output instead of trying to battle
platform specific printing challenges. One advantage of generating RTF
and HTM files is that users get revisable form electronic versions of
their output for free.

> 2. Lack of a modern HTML widget or an easy-to-use, cross-platform way of wrapping one of the major browser platforms (Gecko, Webkit, IE). Lots of partial solutions, but nothing that abstracts the platform differences and presents a single API.

Have you looked at Tkhtml?
http://www.hwaci.com/sw/tkhtml/

Quote: Tkhtml is a Tcl/Tk widget that displays HTML. Tkhtml is
implemented in C. It is a true widget, not a metawidget implemented
using the Text or Canvas widgets of the Tcl/Tk core.

Python wrapper
http://tix.sourceforge.net/Tixapps/src/Python/TkHtml.py

Malcolm