[Tkinter-discuss] What determines the initial position of Tkinter's root and Toplevel() windows?

python at bdurham.com python at bdurham.com
Fri Dec 10 17:12:37 CET 2010

What determines the initial position of Tkinter's root and
Toplevel() windows?

Under Windows (running Python 2.7), my root window appears to
show up in random positions (usually clustered around the upper
left of my display).

The position of my first Toplevel() window appears to be random
as well. Subsequent Toplevel() windows appear offset from the
position of the first Toplevel() window by a consistent(?) amount
of space. I think the pattern for subsequent Toplevel() window
positions might be described as a "tiled" effect?

Are these Tkinter specific behaviors or OS specific behaviors?

What approach do you take with your window placement:

- accept the default window position as given by Tkinter
- proactively specify a window position
- center your windows on the desktop
- remember and restore window positions (and sizes?) across
sessions
- other

Thank you,
Malcolm