[Tkinter-discuss] From wxPython to TK

Tim Jones timj at tolisgroup.com
Thu Mar 19 16:51:38 CET 2009

On Mar 19, 2009, at 1:42 AM, jimscafe wrote:

> I am a businessman who writes his own software to help run the
> business. That
> said I started writing software in Fortran on an ICL mainframe,
> then on a
> Commodore pet, then an Apple II.
>
> I gravitated towards Python some 6 years ago (via java and perl)
> and enjoy
> Python.
>
> The gui is another matter. I tried TK at first then for the last 3
> years
> have been using wxPython - I bought a book on it as I find the
> documentation
> difficult, not to say irritating at times.

Sorry to usurp the TK-ness of this thread, but have you taken a look
at PyQT (http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/software/pyqt/intro)?
It's Python wrappers for the QT framework.  Now that Nokia has
removed the commercial limitations on the QT development environment,
and since you're not writing commercial apps, the combination of PyQT
and QT are free.  QT's implementation is pretty solid across all
platforms, but be aware that ANY cross-platform toolkit is going to
see problems with the DPI setting differences between Windows (72 DPI
default) and Linux X11 (72 to 99 DPI default).  You really need to
create your widgets in such a manner that things can be scaled based
on your determination of the system's current DPI value.

You can get the DPI value on Linux using "xdpyinfo | grep resolution"
in a terminal.

HTH,
Tim