[Tkinter-discuss] Tktable: Can not find the dll.

Harm Kirchhoff hk at pop.ms
Sun Jul 26 10:56:59 CEST 2009

I am trying to use tktable with Python on Windows and am getting the notorious
"tktable isn't loaded statically" error.
I read the comments available on the www but could not make it work.

It is clear, that my installation can not find the Tktable files. But
how can I tell it where to find them ?
(I am not a Tcl programmer).

I am using python 2.6 on windowsXP:
I can see the Tkinter wrapper in C:\Python26\Lib\lib-tk\tktable.py
the tcl is in: C:\Python26\tcl\tk8.5\tkTable.tcl
and under C:\Python26\DLLs I have 2 dlls: tcl85.dll and tk85.dll
there is no tktable.dll but I assume it should be in the tk85.dll ???

I thought I could simply modify the wrapper to point to the tcl:
    def __init__(self, master=None, **kw):
        master = _setup_master(master)
        try:
            master.tk.call('package', 'require', 'Tktable')
        except Tkinter.TclError:
            try:
                master.tk.call('load', 'tkTable.dll', 'Tktable')
            except Tkinter.TclError:
                master.tk.call('load','C:\\Python26\\tcl\\tk8.5\\tkTable.tcl', 'Tktable')
                #master.tk.call('load', '', 'tkTable')
But that does not work either.

Anybody using tkTable on windows: How did you do it ?
I guess I have to modify the TCL standard path to make it find the tcl
or DLL but not having any TCL experience, I have no idea how to do that
from python.

Regards,

HK