[Tkinter-discuss] Strange behavior with python 2.5

Michael Lange klappnase at web.de
Sun Nov 16 21:59:58 CET 2008

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 17:18:54 -0200
"Guilherme Polo" <ggpolo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Vasilis Vlachoudis
> <Vasilis.Vlachoudis at cern.ch> wrote:
> > Finally I didn't understand, is it a problem of Tkinter or Tk/Tcl?
>
> It is not really a problem. But if you want to blame someone, go for
> Python then.

If you get unexpected and , if the software you write is supposed to run on
different platforms, also unpredictable behavior like this I think it *is* a
problem.

(...)

> > Setting wantobjects to False is broken in py3k tho.
> >
> > It incurs performance penalty too, since you will be working with
> > strings only and objects won't be shared. At the same time it saves
> > some time in not needing to do any transformations, or any extra
> > attempts to transform, since it will always be a string but I don't
> > believe this gain shadows the loses.

The amounts of bug reports I received before and after changing to
wantobjects=False says it does. The problem is that you never seem
to know where the TclObjects appear on Python / Tk versions other than your own.
So what else to do? Convert everything Tk returns to string? Adding "try...except TclError"
everywhere? Do nothing and wait if people will send bug reports?

Michael