[Tkinter-discuss] Question on moving a scale value via the program

Charlie Hall chazzhall at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 02:59:05 CET 2008

Hexamorph wrote:
> Charlie Hall wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm fairly new at Python and even newer at Tkinter.  For learning
>> purposes, I'm attempting a program for a small, simple timer.  I decided
>> to use the Scale widget to indicate the status (or lapsed time).
>> However, I can't seem to get the Scale widget to respond to a change in
>> scale value.  It seems that Scale is intended to respond to key clicks
>> only.  Is this correct.
>>
>> If someone knows how I can change the scale value from my program, I'd
>> certainly appreciate some hints.
>>
>> Thank you very much,
>>
>> Charlie Hall
>>

> Hi!
>
> What's wrong with the Scale.set(value) method?

Hexamorph,

Thanks for the quick reply.  A quick answer to your question is:
nothing is wrong with the Scale.set(value) method.  My problem was two
fold.  First, I had assumed from either an error message, or something I
read in one of the tutorials, that  the "set" function was not available
in the Scale widget, although the "get" is.  Second, as a student of
Python/Tkinter, I had a problem with scoping some of my variables.

I believe all is worked out now, and I can now move my scale from my
program thanks to your encouraging response to my question.  All I
needed was someone to get me on track again, and I appreciate it.

Charlie