[Tkinter-discuss] Problem when installing python with tkinter module

Vinu Vikram vvinuv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 12:47:39 CET 2007

Dear Sir
I am facing problem when I tried to install python with tkinter module
enabled in redhat linux machine. I installed tcl/tk v 8.4.14 properly. Then
I have edited the Setup file and it looks like the below.

# The _tkinter module.
#
# The command for _tkinter is long and site specific.  Please
# uncomment and/or edit those parts as indicated.  If you don't have a
# specific extension (e.g. Tix or BLT), leave the corresponding line
# commented out.  (Leave the trailing backslashes in!  If you
# experience strange errors, you may want to join all uncommented
# lines and remove the backslashes -- the backslash interpretation is
# done by the shell's "read" command and it may not be implemented on
# every system.

# *** Always uncomment this (leave the leading underscore in!):
_tkinter _tkinter.c tkappinit.c -DWITH_APPINIT \
# *** Uncomment and edit to reflect where your Tcl/Tk libraries are:
-L/usr/local/lib \
# *** Uncomment and edit to reflect where your Tcl/Tk headers are:
-I/usr/local/include \
# *** Uncomment and edit to reflect where your X11 header files are:
    -I/usr/X11R6/include \
# *** Or uncomment this for Solaris:
#    -I/usr/openwin/include \
# *** Uncomment and edit for Tix extension only:
#    -DWITH_TIX -ltix8.1.8.2 \
# *** Uncomment and edit for BLT extension only:
#    -DWITH_BLT -I/usr/local/blt/blt8.0-unoff/include -lBLT8.0 \
# *** Uncomment and edit for PIL (TkImaging) extension only:
#     (See http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/ for more info)
#    -DWITH_PIL -I../Extensions/Imaging/libImaging  tkImaging.c \
# *** Uncomment and edit for TOGL extension only:
#    -DWITH_TOGL togl.c \
# *** Uncomment and edit to reflect your Tcl/Tk versions:
    -ltk8.4 -ltcl8.4 \
# *** Uncomment and edit to reflect where your X11 libraries are:
    -L/usr/X11R6/lib \
# *** Or uncomment this for Solaris:
#    -L/usr/openwin/lib \
# *** Uncomment these for TOGL extension only:
#    -lGL -lGLU -lXext -lXmu \
# *** Uncomment for AIX:
#    -lld \
# *** Always uncomment this; X11 libraries to link with:
    -lX11

But whenever I make  python-2.4.3 it shows the error

./python: error while loading shared libraries: libtk8.4.so: cannot open
make: *** [sharedmods] Error 127

I request you to help me to solve the problem.
Thanking You
--
VINU VIKRAM
http://iucaa.ernet.in/~vvinuv/