[Tkinter-discuss] How to dettach a Toplevel

Sorin Schwimmer sxn02 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 23:02:46 CET 2006

Hi Michael,

I see your point, but this is not what I am looking for. What I'm trying to achieve goes on the
following lines: the user has a GUI and works. A daemon (I'm on Linux) receives a message
for the user, so it pops-up a little notification symbol (there is actualy a bit more inter-process
communication, but it is not relevant for the GUI part). If the user checks right away what's
going on, then the pop-up dissapears. But (s)he may decide to check later, and even decide to
close the application; the symbol needs to stay there.

My symbol is not intrusive, is a little undecorated window, the size of the "close", "restore",
and "minimise" buttons, and I place it close to them. It is on a red background, so it attracts
attention, but the user can work with it there without problems.

That's why I need to "dettach" it.

Thanks anyway for your suggestion,
Sorin

http://new.mail.yahoo.com