[Tkinter-discuss] Shrinking and Expanding a Frame widget

Martin Franklin mart.franklin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 11:43:17 CET 2005

Hi all,

I just wanted to ask if anyone has been able to programatically shrink
or expand a Frame widget by setting it's height.  I have this....

self.height = self.frame.winfo_reqheight()
for a in range(self.height, 0, -1):
     self.frame.configure(height=str(a))
     self.update_idletasks()
     time.sleep(0.1)

But it doesn't work!  If I set the time.sleep to 1 second the widget
flashes (every second) but doesn't shrink.

The frame widget is packed (with fill and expand set) perhaps this is
interfering (I have tried changing the packing options to no avail!

I googled for shrinking Tk Frame widget - and got a few hits but mostly
links for other widget sets (Tix, etc) *I* am restricted to pure Tkinter
widgets

Martin