[Tkinter-discuss] Administrative items

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Wed Mar 17 20:21:53 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 08:50:16PM +0000, Martin Franklin wrote:
> What do people want in the Widget list / Widget pages? Example usage? A
> discussion of all the widget specific options?  I guess a python
> translation of the Tk man pages would be a start?

Well, one route to go is a translation of the Tk manpage into Python
terms.  An example of this (done mostly manually) is now at
    http://tkinter.unpy.net/wiki/Widgets/Button
Comments, please.  I don't intend to do another unless response is
clearly positive...

Problems I see:
* Options vary according to Tk version.  We'd have to decide on a
  version to document, and what version-dependent differences to note
* The process takes time (and I did one of the very simple pages)
* Maybe docstrings in the Tkinter module are more appropriate
* What about the other things we'd like to say (I think a sample
  program and maybe even screenshots if moinmoin can do it), how do
  they fit into the document when the structure is taken from a manpage?
* Can wiki pages be renamed later, or is it manual cut&paste followed
  by renaming incoming links?  For instance Widgets/Button vs
  Widgets/Button/Manual vs WidgetReference/Button, to name three places
  this page could belong.

Jeff