[summerofcode] Project proposal:

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Sat Jun 4 08:47:43 CEST 2005

Patrick Mullen wrote:
>    Hello fellow pythonistas!  This seems like a great program that will
> hopefully infuse new life into a lot of the open source community, and
> it's wonderful that python is getting involved.  At first I thought that
> I could only choose off of the idea list on the wiki, in which case the
> project I was going to go for would be the anygui one.  While wxPython
> is now mostly considered the de facto standard, it seems a little big to
> be included as the standard gui for python.  I would like to see a nice,
> featured, light, gui to replace tk, which is pretty shabby in my
> opinion.  But that's quite a large undertaking.  I would want to make it
> expandable, so that the same code can be used without installing an
> external toolkit, and then when you install gtk or wx it could use
> that.  For the summer of code I think getting a reference implementation
> using sdl/opengl would be good.

FYI, PyUI is a toolkit built on pygame: http://pyui.sourceforge.net/ --
I don't think it's been developed very actively for a while though.

I put up the Anygui item, because personally I think it would be really
really nice to have.  None of the native libraries (wxPython, pyGTK,
etc) are very Pythonic.  And I don't really blame them, because it's
best to honestly represent the underlying library, but I feel like
something is sorely lacking that there aren't better libraries on top of
those.  Wax is a notable exception, but there should be more competition
for this sort of thing.  And personally I think wxWidgets is
implementing the abstraction layer in the wrong place on the stack,
which is why Anygui seems appealing to me.

*But*, I don't do much GUI programming, this is just my impression from
a once-a-year foray into writing a GUI app.  So I don't really know what
I'm talking about ;)

--
Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  / http://blog.ianbicking.org