[stdlib-sig] Breaking out the stdlib

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Sep 15 21:43:39 CEST 2009

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2009, at 2:41 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
>
>> MAL pointed out http://code.activestate.com/recipes/573441/ - extended
>> optparse to allow definition of required options. Given that one of
>> the requirements that argparse is claimed to meet where optparse
>> doesn't is supporting required arguments, how come this simple recipe
>> hasn't been incorporated into optparse?
>
> That's an excellent question which kind of says something about people's
> enthusiasm for maintaining optparse, eh?

It says something about the apparent importance of this particular
feature in an argument parsing module ;-)

Seriously, I wouldn't expect an argument parsing tool to do any
complicated option dependency checking for me. That's something
you do after having parsed the command line and it's likely
different for every single script that needs such checks.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 15 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/