[stdlib-sig] Breaking out the stdlib

David Stanek dstanek at dstanek.com
Tue Sep 15 14:28:12 CEST 2009

Sorry if I am a bit off base, but I have only been browsing this thread...

I think that at some point the really old stuff that has a replacement
should get removed. Why not provide a LegacyStdlib egg on Pypi? This
could create a compatibility layer and help those that do not want to
change their code .

On 9/15/09, Michael Foord <michael at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> Laura Creighton wrote:
>>
>>> So what do you think of this proposal?
>>>

>> Good write-up and very much to the point.
>>
>> [Executive Summary:
>> Code that hardly needs any changes, because it does what it's meant
>> to do, is good code, not bad code. And it causes only minimal
>> maintenance effort, so it's actually something core developer should
>> welcome rather than fight against.]
>>

> Right - but part of the specific problem with optparse is that in many
> situations it does a very inadequate job (i.e. it "it does what it is
> meant to do" but not what many people "need it to do") and is designed
> in such a way that *required* functionality can't be added in a
> backwards compatible way.
>
> That is not "good code" (by my reckoning).
>
> Michael
>

>> I'd only change the tag "dead-as-a-doornail" to "complete, proven and
>> stable". Sounds more accurate.
>>
>> --
>> Marc-Andre Lemburg
>> eGenix.com
>>
>> Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 15 2009)

>> ::: Try our new mxODBC.Connect Python Database Interface for free ! ::::
>>

>>    eGenix.com Software, Skills and Services GmbH  Pastor-Loeh-Str.48
>>     D-40764 Langenfeld, Germany. CEO Dipl.-Math. Marc-Andre Lemburg
>>            Registered at Amtsgericht Duesseldorf: HRB 46611
>>                http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
>>

> --
> http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/

Sent from my mobile device